From: Marc Vinyals <marcvinyals@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-science <gentoo-science@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-science] sci-libs/scipy-0.9.0-r1 undefined symbol: clapack_sgesv
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:46:00
Hi,

While updating sage and python to 4.7 and 2.7, I hit a variation of an
old bug (see http://bugs.gentoo.org/195619): scipy compiles with
lapack-reference but is unusable. Running in python

import scipy.optimize

fails with

[...]
    from scipy.linalg import clapack
ImportError: /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/scipy/linalg/clapack.so:
undefined symbol: clapack_sgesv

I tried rebuilding numpy and scipy with lapack provided (eselect) by
lapack-reference, blas provided by blas-reference, cblas provided by
gsl and with/without clapack with the same result.

Then I tried rebuilding numpy and scipy with lapack, blas and cblas
provided (eselect) by atlas and scipy worked flawlessly.

Should scipy depend on a specific lapack provider instead of a virtual?
Enable it at compile time? Is it an unfortunate combination what fails?

I can provide build logs if you need them.

Best,
Marc.