From: "François Bissey" <frp.bissey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-science] [sage-on-gentoo] sage is not blocking gmpy anymore in sage 6.5 and 9999
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 21:13:21
1 Hi,
2
3 Almost 2 years ago almost to the day I included a line blocking the
4 installation of gmpy alongside sage in the sage ebuild.
5 This was done because I had regular reports of people breaking
6 sympy when both were installed at the same time - ultimately
7 sage was broken too but the big symptom was an un-ability to
8 build/reinstall sympy.
9
10 The fundamental issue seems to have fixed in mpmath upstream
11 so I lift the restriction today.
12
13 But it will be back if new issue are discovered.
14
15 A quick note for people wanting to use gmpy as the backend
16 for mpmath/sympy. By default if both gmpy and sage are installed
17 mpmath will use sage as its backend for arbitrary precision
18 computation. This is a runtime behavior that cannot be altered
19 by useflags. If you want to use gmpy over sage as the backend
20 you need to define the variable MPMATH_NOSAGE (its value is not
21 checked, just its existence). Similarly there is a MPMATH_NOGMPY
22 check.
23 People interested in the mechanics of the backend should look at
24 /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/mpmath/libmp/backend.py
25
26 Cheers,
27 Francois