From: "François Bissey" <frp.bissey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] ntl bump
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 21:48:28
1 On 03/26/15 05:08, Thomas Kahle wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > dev-libs/ntl is at 8.1.2 already (we have 6.* in the tree). I'd work on
5 > the bump if nobody else is.
6 >
7 > For the 6.* versions there is a patch which implements an error callback
8 > mechanism which is used in sage. In the 8.* versions ntl has its own
9 > error callback, but it has a different interface than the one in our patch.
10 >
11 > Will sage (when?) be able to deal with ntl's native mechanism or do we
12 > need the patch? I can translate it to the new version, but it may make
13 > no sense.
16 For now I think sage should stick with ntl-6.*. Victor (ntl upstream) is
17 now on the sage-devel mailing list and is ready to help sage move on.
18 Sage and packages used by sage are his main consumer after all.
19 But right now no one has started the transistion.
20 I think I may make noise for sage 6.7, at the moment we are
21 re-organizing some of the code wrapping ntl and it may not be advisable
22 to change the version at the same time.
23 The following packages also need checking:
24 flint
25 singular (does 4.* depend on ntl as well)
26 eclib
27 linbox
28
29 I'll have a look at the one that still belong to the s-o-g overlay.
30
31 Francois