From: fbissey@××××××××××××.nz
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] [patch] system-wide install of debug_gap.vim can not be overridden
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 04:41:48
Quoting P Purkayastha <ppurka@×××××.com>:

> On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 03:18:51 +0800, Francois Bissey > <fbissey@××××××××××××.nz> wrote: > >>> Hi, >>> >>> I installed sage and also gap via the sage-for-gentoo overlay on a >>> Gentoo linux system (64 bit installation). It turned out that gap >>> installed a plugin /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/plugin/gap_debug.vim where >>> some keybindings are defined to help debug gap programs. >>> >>> First, I think this file should go under >>> /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/ftplugin directory since it applies only to gap >>> files. Secondly, the files define some keybindings without allowing for >>> the user to override those keybindings in ~/.vimrc. >>> >>> I am attaching a patch which defines a global vim variable. If the user >>> sets that variable in ~/.vimrc, then this gap plugin will not be read. >>> This is one way I think the plugin can be made to not supersede user >>> settings. >>> >>> If there is some other way of overriding that plugin file, please let me >>> know. >>> >> Hi, >> >> thanks for the info. It looks like you have found something that is >> installed >> by "automagic". Not being a fan of vi I don't have it installed and >> that vim >> file is not installed here. We may need to put it under useflag control. >> I think we may adopt your patch until someone more knowledgeable in vim >> tell us that's the wrong way of doing things. >> >> Francois >> > > Hi Francois, > > I am not surprised that the file debug_gap.vim is not installed in your > system. The installation of this file is handled by the vim-syntax > useflag. This useflag also handles the installation of other useful vim > files. > > One option would be to introduce the debug useflag for gap and install > this debug_gap.vim file if both vim-syntax and debug flags are on. And, > during the src_prepare apply the patch to debug_gap.vim. I can provide you > an updated ebuild if you so desire.
Hi, I need to take more care when I check the ebuilds before 8am. Yes of course there is a vim-syntax flag! I don't think we need to overcomplicate things with an extra debug flag. On the other hand being able to override the plugin is a very good idea. So unless something more refined can be done I think I'll just adopt your patch. Francois