From: fbissey@××××××××××××.nz
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] [patch] system-wide install of debug_gap.vim can not be overridden
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 04:41:48
1 Quoting P Purkayastha <ppurka@×××××.com>:
2
3 > On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 03:18:51 +0800, Francois Bissey
4 > <fbissey@××××××××××××.nz> wrote:
5 >
6 >>> Hi,
7 >>>
8 >>> I installed sage and also gap via the sage-for-gentoo overlay on a
9 >>> Gentoo linux system (64 bit installation). It turned out that gap
10 >>> installed a plugin /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/plugin/gap_debug.vim where
11 >>> some keybindings are defined to help debug gap programs.
12 >>>
13 >>> First, I think this file should go under
14 >>> /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/ftplugin directory since it applies only to gap
15 >>> files. Secondly, the files define some keybindings without allowing for
16 >>> the user to override those keybindings in ~/.vimrc.
17 >>>
18 >>> I am attaching a patch which defines a global vim variable. If the user
19 >>> sets that variable in ~/.vimrc, then this gap plugin will not be read.
20 >>> This is one way I think the plugin can be made to not supersede user
21 >>> settings.
22 >>>
23 >>> If there is some other way of overriding that plugin file, please let me
24 >>> know.
25 >>>
26 >> Hi,
27 >>
28 >> thanks for the info. It looks like you have found something that is
29 >> installed
30 >> by "automagic". Not being a fan of vi I don't have it installed and
31 >> that vim
32 >> file is not installed here. We may need to put it under useflag control.
33 >> I think we may adopt your patch until someone more knowledgeable in vim
34 >> tell us that's the wrong way of doing things.
35 >>
36 >> Francois
39 > Hi Francois,
40 >
41 > I am not surprised that the file debug_gap.vim is not installed in your
42 > system. The installation of this file is handled by the vim-syntax
43 > useflag. This useflag also handles the installation of other useful vim
44 > files.
45 >
46 > One option would be to introduce the debug useflag for gap and install
47 > this debug_gap.vim file if both vim-syntax and debug flags are on. And,
48 > during the src_prepare apply the patch to debug_gap.vim. I can provide you
49 > an updated ebuild if you so desire.
50
51 Hi,
52
53 I need to take more care when I check the ebuilds before 8am. Yes of course
54 there is a vim-syntax flag! I don't think we need to overcomplicate
55 things with
56 an extra debug flag. On the other hand being able to override the plugin is a
57 very good idea. So unless something more refined can be done I think I'll just
58 adopt your patch.
59
60 Francois