From: Christopher Schwan <cschwan@××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] sage-on-gentoo: how to do sage development process on Gentoo
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 15:59:33
1 On Friday 17 January 2014 16:26:56 Erik Quaeghebeur wrote:
2 > Hi,
5 > For development on Sage (such as reviewing), is there a gentoo-specific
6 > setup/approach best to follow?
7 >
8 > So, I'd like to know the Gentoo-specifics for
9 > <http://www.sagemath.org/doc/developer/walk_through.html>.
10 > Specifically, is it possible to set up a local/personal live ebuild that
11 > points to the current local/personal branch of the sage source, so that
12 > building allows me to test the changes?
15 > Thanks,
16 >
17 > Erik
18
19 I think in that case you unmask and use the 9999 ebuilds that will fetch the
20 latest sources via git. These ebuilds inherit the git-2 eclass[1] that let you
21 override the repository, branch and commit via the
22
23 packagename_LIVE_REPO
24 packagename_LIVE_BRANCH
25 packagename_LIVE_COMMIT
26
27 environment variables; packagename should just be the ebuild name with hyphens
28 replaced by underscores: sage, sage_clib, sage_baselayout, sage_doc.
29
30 If you need to apply some additional patches, e.g. for gentoo specific
31 changes, use the epatch_user[2] functionality and put the patches under
32
33 /etc/portage/patches/sci-mathematics/<PF|P|PN>[:SLOT]/
34
35 e.g.
36
37 /etc/portage/patches/sci-mathematics/sage-9999/fix-directory.patch
38
39 (patch must end with ".patch"). This way you should not need to setup a new
40 overlay, maybe a little script that sets all environment variables will be
41 useful.
42
43 Cheers,
44 Christopher
45
46 [1] emerge eclass-manpages ; man git-2.eclass
47 [2] man eutils.eclass