From: Olivier Fisette <ribosome@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Re: Scientific herd leadership
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:04:20
1 On Thursday, 18 August 2005 05:52 am, George Shapovalov wrote:
2 > I used to put out calls for new/interested devs to help
3 > Scientific Gentoo, when I was more active, and the responce
4 > was rather positive. However recently I did not have enough
5 > time to devote to training of new devs, so that slipped by. I
6 > think it would be usefull to reinstate that initiative, but
7 > first we need to get a head-count of who feels like doing the
8 > training. Should we have a 1 year as a dev requirement for
9 > the trainers? (not the trainees of course! They are even
10 > better picked up from science than from Linux althogether :))
11 > I would think so, given complexity of Gentoo nowadays and that
12 > last thing we want to do is to screw our comprehension by
13 > scientific community :).
14
15 Unless I am mistaken, any Gentoo developer is free to open a "New
16 developer" bug for consideration by our recruiters team, as long
17 as he is willing to mentor the recruit. I see no reason for the
18 sci team to impose additional restrictions upon its members. I
19 think we can trust the judgement of the mentoring dev on this.
20
21 I am ready to mentor a candidate. I have the necessary free time
22 right now and will have it for a few months. I have already
23 mentored someone once and found it a very rewarding experience.
24
25 Since everybody agrees that we need more hands, I asked
26 recruiters to update the Staffing Needs on the gentoo.org Web
27 site to reflect this.
28
29 Kind regards,
32 Olivier Fisette (ribosome)
33 Gentoo Linux Developer
34 Scientific applications, Developer relations