From: "Honza Macháček" <Hloupy.Honza@×××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Testing with GCC 4
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 09:08:03
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2
3 > Adam Pi±tyszek wrote:
4 >
5 >>I have just tested your autotooled *-reference ebuilds...
6 >>does not work (cholesky_test from IT++ package goes into an endless loop).
7 >
8 > ...
9 >
10 > That's an odd problem. I'd expect at least undefined functions or
11 > something obvious, not a random loop. I'll take a look at it soon, maybe
12 > I missed something obvious.
13
14 May that be related to the DLAMC3 problem reported at
15 http://www.theochem.kth.se/dalton/faq.html near the end of the page? The
16 links to the Fedora bugzilla work no more, but as far as I remember the
17 infinite loop arises somehow from incorrect machine precision
18 assumptions due to excessive precision of numbers in registers, not
19 complient to the IEEE standard. So I try (althoug rather with the atlas
20 libraries than with the reference ones) using -mieee-fp compiler flag
21 rather than -ffloat-store recomended at the Dalton page (and -O1 rather
22 than -O2 on my AMD machines -- both athlon xp and k8 architectures --
23 due to other problem, that is too obscure to me so far for me to be even
24 able to file a reasonable bugzilla entry).
25 If that is the case, than the key to the malfunction may be in the
26 compiler flags, and the ebuilds could be improved by some flags checking
27 and mangling, otherwise being OK.
28
29 Honza Macháèek
30 --