From: Peter Bienstman <pbienst@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] lapack transition
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:33:10
On Sunday 21 August 2005 17:53, Darren Dale wrote:

> I think that clarifies things, but I wonder why Numeric and SciPy suggest > including atlas in the library list if it isnt necessary.
The scipy and numeric docs don't know anything about the upcoming new Gentoo scheme, where liblapack can be a front for libatlas or any other library that implements lapack. That's actually the beauty of the new system: even if you have a program which in its configure scripts does not know anything about alternate lapack implementations, its still possible to use it with ATLAS. But if you're building SciPy on a non-Gentoo system (or on the the current Gentoo, i.e. before the switch), then it's obviously necessary to include the correct atlas info. Peter