From: Darren Dale <dd55@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-science] question about signbit
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 18:17:19
Hello,

A while back, SciPy was added to the portage tree. There will be a new version
of SciPy soon, which will hopefully unify the Numeric/numarray split in the
Python community.

I am trying to track down the source of a bug in the SciPy development branch
which, so far, has only been reported on a Gentoo platform (mine). It
involves the use of the libc math function "signbit". Here is a clip from the
manpage:

       `signbit' is a generic macro which can work on all real floating-
       point types.  It returns a non-zero value if the value of  X  has
       its sign bit set.

On my system, SciPy's signbit function reports that the sign bit is not set
for any number, positive or negative. Could someone here help me understand
how to test the libc signbit function? I have to admit I have no experience
with C programming.

Thanks,

Darren