From: Darren Dale <dd55@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-science] question about signbit
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 18:17:19
1 Hello,
2
3 A while back, SciPy was added to the portage tree. There will be a new version
4 of SciPy soon, which will hopefully unify the Numeric/numarray split in the
5 Python community.
6
7 I am trying to track down the source of a bug in the SciPy development branch
8 which, so far, has only been reported on a Gentoo platform (mine). It
9 involves the use of the libc math function "signbit". Here is a clip from the
10 manpage:
11
12 `signbit' is a generic macro which can work on all real floating-
13 point types. It returns a non-zero value if the value of X has
14 its sign bit set.
15
16 On my system, SciPy's signbit function reports that the sign bit is not set
17 for any number, positive or negative. Could someone here help me understand
18 how to test the libc signbit function? I have to admit I have no experience
19 with C programming.
20
21 Thanks,
22