From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Scientific Gentoo reorg: the proposal
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 16:09:26
1 jak@×××××××××××××.pl wrote:
2 > First, there are three basic array packages: dev-python/numeric
3 > dev-python/numarray dev-python/numpy. They should be, at least optionally,
4 > built using lapack. This was discussed in the beginning of 2005, see
5 > #81520. I have just discovered that there is some update in the overlay.
6 >
7 > Second, it was proposed (see #124276) to replace numeric and numarray with
8 > numpy, which I consider premature, as there are interesting modules and
9 > applications that do not use numpy yet. It would be advantageous, however,
10 > to be able to choose array type where available. For example: f2py now
11 > depends only on numeric, but when numpy is installed it uses it rather
12 > than numeric. Eventually I had to remove numpy and install f2py manually.
13 > As I remember, also pytables can use either numeric or numarray but
14 > presently depends only on the latter.
15
16 I imagine patches would be welcome.
17
18 > Should Scientific Python, now in python herd, be in sci? I have just
19 > submitted MMTK library, which was written by the same person, see #137989.
20 > This two packages probably should be maintained together. What about a
21 > nice, pure python, chemistry drawing program bkchem – see #95178.
22
23 I've just added the sci herd as a second herd in the metadata.
24
25 Thanks,
26 Donnie