From: Christopher Schwan <cschwan@××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] sci-libs/mpir for the main tree
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:23:09
1 Hi,
2
3 On Friday 17 December 2010 14:00:16 Thomas Kahle wrote:
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > On 21:19 Tue 09 Nov , François Bissey wrote:
7 > > > my next migration victim will be mpir, the friendly clone of gmp. The
8 > > > current ebuild is the same in sage-on-gentoo and science. It has this
9 > > > assembler stuff in it that I don't understand. Who did this? What is
10 > > > the latest here, can we remove the fat TODO-banner (or DO it?).
11 > > >
12 > > > Any other hints/objections? (Yes, I know that there is a bump
13 > > > waiting...)
14 > >
15 > > Hi Thomas,
16 > >
17 > > Christopher did it. mpir like gmp suffer from executable stacks.
18 > > There are talk on sage-devel which is very close to mpir upstream
19 > > to take a different approach: using an m4 macro and a linker flag
20 > > to remove them -Wl,-z,noexecstack.
21 > > The motivation to fix this is fedora 14 which doesn't allow executable
22 > > stacks by default.
23 >
24 > The changelog of mpir-2.2 shows:
25 >
26 > -) Enable noexecstack for x86/x86_64 with GCC
27 >
28 > So what should be done to use this in our ebuild. I tried to simply
29 > append -Wl,-z,noexecstack to ldflags, but this did nothing.
30
31 Mpir's configure scripts looks like its adding "-Wl,-z,noexecstack" if it
32 detects a gcc+x86/amd64 configuration - so I guess noexecstack should work out
33 of the box. If it does not I would consider this as broken.
36 > Cheers,
37 > Thomas
38
39 Cheers,