From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] lapack transition
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 23:22:55
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2
3 > I thought f95 was not only the default, but the only choice, and f77 was
4 > entirely gone.
5
6 Maybe ... it wasn't entirely clear to me from the discussion, which was
7 relative to Atlas and (shudder) Fedora Core 4, where GCC 4 is the default.
10 > gcc is slotted so you can have many versions installed at the same time
11 > and switch with gcc-config. Just try unmasking in package.unmask and go.
12
13 In the case of Atlas, Clint Whaley tried a couple of tests with GCC 4
14 and discovered on some pretty pure and simple scientific code, GCC 4 was
15 quite a bit slower than 3.4 on an x86-32. He says, "stick with 3.4 for
16 Atlas until 4 gets better". I don't have access to an AMD 64-bit machine
17 and I don't have (legitimate, anyhow) access to an Intel x86-64 machine.
18 So for now, anyhow, I can wait until all 10,000+ packages in Portage
19 compile and test out with GCC 4 <ducking>
20 --
21 gentoo-science@g.o mailing list