From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] lapack transition
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 23:22:55
Donnie Berkholz wrote:

> I thought f95 was not only the default, but the only choice, and f77 was > entirely gone.
Maybe ... it wasn't entirely clear to me from the discussion, which was relative to Atlas and (shudder) Fedora Core 4, where GCC 4 is the default.
> > gcc is slotted so you can have many versions installed at the same time > and switch with gcc-config. Just try unmasking in package.unmask and go.
In the case of Atlas, Clint Whaley tried a couple of tests with GCC 4 and discovered on some pretty pure and simple scientific code, GCC 4 was quite a bit slower than 3.4 on an x86-32. He says, "stick with 3.4 for Atlas until 4 gets better". I don't have access to an AMD 64-bit machine and I don't have (legitimate, anyhow) access to an Intel x86-64 machine. So for now, anyhow, I can wait until all 10,000+ packages in Portage compile and test out with GCC 4 <ducking> -- gentoo-science@g.o mailing list