From: Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Gentoo Science next meeting agenda - 4) science profiles
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 08:54:18
On 12:06 Sun 05 Dec     , S├ębastien Fabbro wrote:
> Kacper Kowalik wrote: > > > Also, since it was already mentioned on #gentoo-dev, we could have > > "sci" profile with USE="fortran" and remove it from base. > > To my great amazement it seems that not everybody use Fortran on a > > daily basis :P > > That was what initiated the idea. Also I was thinking of larger scale > project such as initiating automatic creation of some basic science VM > we could distribute, based on those profiles.
This is an interesting point for the future. I have the feeling that the trend for scientific computing is towards integrated systems with many components (i.e. bundled libraries). Mathematical examples that come to mind: sage, scilab, Macaulay, singular..., Some of the upstreams there are actively pursuing the approach of shipping a VM, for instance as the "windows version". There might be a chance for Gentoo to provide a single VM that has it all. +1 for the profiles and VM idea. -- Thomas Kahle http://dev.gentoo.org/~tomka/