From: Jan Marten Simons <marten@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] website python error
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 08:38:58
1 Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
2 > I never tried to keep the overlay secret, but why should users have to
3 > set up a myriad of overlays if they just want to run a system? May be you
4 > would be better off becoming a developer and adding stuff to the tree? If we
5 > follow a trend of keeping more and more stuff in various overlays then Gentoo
6 > just becomes more of a pain to run IMHO.
7 >
8 > I am hoping to get more proactive in moving suitable ebuilds from the overlay
9 > to the main tree in the near future. I will also be encouraging other devs to
10 > do the same if they are not already. So the overlay will get smaller as stuff
11 > is moved. Hopefully some of our active herd testers will go on to become
12 > developers and maintain some of this stuff themselves too.
13 >
14 > May be the aims of the overlay should be more clearly defined through debate
15 > and documented on the overlay site. I am away for the week starting in about
16 > one hour anyway... I will catch up on discussions when I get back. It would
17 > be good to hear what more people think about this subject - may be I am on my
18 > own with my opinions?
21 I think it would be a good thing if some interested users do some
22 additionally testing of "in work" ebuilds, so that the applications are
23 tested on a wider range of hardware and configurations. As a move to
24 o.g.o would reduce maintainance as well, I'm in favour of this.
25 gentooscience.org could then redirect there.
28 Jan
31 gentoo-science@g.o mailing list