From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Mathematica issue
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 23:24:18
1 Hi,
2
3 On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 14:40:10 +0100 christoph irrenfried wrote:
4 > Hello,
5 > my name is Chris and I have a huge Mathemaica problem. I need it for
6 > work on a daily bases but after I did my regular update a couple mounths
7 > ago it just wont start again. I filed this issue on the gentoo forum but
8 > I cant find a way to get rid of this problem. The error message is as a
9 > pic included.
10 > Than a couple weeks ago I bought a laptop and installed gentoo with
11 > gnome on it but there aswell and I got the same error. I have
12 > no idea what's the problem. I wanted to ask you if someone has a
13 > gentoo/gnome system with mathematica running and if so if it is possible
14 > to get the USE flags from your make.conf or I don't know if there is a
15 > way to compare my settings with your system and see if maybe (or
16 > definitely) I messed something up e.g. fonts or something ....
17
18 I don't use Mathematica now (maxima and R are sufficient for my
19 needs), but I can give you a few ideas.
20
21 0) I'm not sure USE flags will help you, problem may lie in other
22 area: missing library, toolkit, util, version mismatch,
23 misconfigured system and so on.
24
25 1) Run Mathematica from console. It may drop to the terminal some
26 useful messages (errors, warngings, etc) which may give a clue.
27
28 2) If any security mechanisms are engaged (e.g. SELinux, PaX,
29 GrSecurity, Yama framework and so on), please disable all of them
30 for testing. They may interfere with complex proprietary software
31 badly.
32
33 3) Please be sure, that iptables on your host are not a hinder
34 (e.g. disable iptables for testing, if in use).
35
36 4) Run tcpdump (net-analyzer/tcpdump) to see what Mathematica tries
37 to do on the net, in particular what ip and port it tries to
38 access. Verify that they are accessible using netcat or telnet.
39
40 5) Try to run Mathematica in terminal in debug mode. Since I don't
41 have this app right now I can't tell you exactly how to enable it,
42 but looking for --help output (or in Mathematica docs) may help.
43 Maybe it supports something like --verbose or --debug, which will
44 help you to get more information, then in step 1).
45
46 6) Inspect Mathematica requirements from its docs, maybe some
47 package or tool is missed, maybe version is wrong.
48
49 7) If anything above fails, there is one more step, an ultimate one.
50 Run (assuming Mathematica command runs it):
51
52 $ strace -ff Mathematica -o mathematica
53 (install dev-util/strace if you don't have it)
54
55 And look through all mathematica.$pid files. They will contain
56 every system call. You will be able to see what files application
57 tries to access, what network actions it tries to perform and so
58 on. The answer will be there, but it will not be very easy to find.
59
60 A good start will be to grep trough all file and socket access (or
61 use -e filter of strace itself). Maybe it tries to load some
62 library, or to run some tool and fails. Maybe required component is
63 present on your system, but version is different from what is
64 needed.
65
66 8) As a complementary to strace you may use dev-util/ltrace. ltrace
67 will print you *each* library call made buy an application. Output
68 data will be enormous, but will contain a very detail fingerprint
69 of what application does. With some effort this should help to
70 understand what is wrong.
71
72 Best regards,
73 Andrew Savchenko