From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] New category proposal - sci-vis
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:59:57
1 On Sunday 29 January 2006 22:53, jak@×××××××××××××.pl wrote:
2 > > The category is intended for visualisation applications,
3 > > so please don't move any libraries such as plplot etc
4 >
5 > Why is that? I think that sci-vis would be a perfect place for,
6 > for example, VTK.
7
8 It is because you cannot fire up a lib and run it to do something, other
9 programs use it to do something like visualisation. Therefore sci-libs would
10 be a much more appropriate place as it is a scientific library - to be useful
11 somebody needs to build an application that uses it. Again this is my opinion
12 and I welcome discussion on the matter. I don't see any reason to start
13 placing libs in there though, or any of the other sci-* categories.