List Archive: gentoo-scm
Note: Due to technical difficulties, the Archives are currently not up to date.
provides an alternative service for most mailing lists.c.f. bug 424647
On 22:45 Sat 01 Nov , Christian Faulhammer wrote:
> nice to see this thing moving, so thanks to all people involved. Apart
> from the transition to Git, we also need to update all our crucial
> utilities. Is there an agenda or roadmap for this transition, where
> all these informations are gathered? And how else can one help?
I'm working on a basic plan, and I've been talking to Robin (and whoever
else happens to be on #gentoo-dev at the time) about it.
There's 4 main pieces that I can think of offhand:
1. Getting a reasonable backend setup that is performant for initial
checkout, updates, and checkins;
2. Figuring out a workflow that makes the most sense, even if it's the
same one we already have;
3. Updating utilities, mainly repoman on the dev side, and rsync scripts
on the backend; and
4. A plan for the actual migration.
Here's progress so far:
1. Working on it
2. Draft at <http://dev.gentoo.org/~dberkholz/master_plan.txt>. Thoughts?
3. Should be fairly straightforward. Patches welcome!
4. Could use some discussion. For example, do we provide
backwards-compat CVS for a while, or do we just provide a git testing
server for a while and switch things over all at once?
Developer, Gentoo Linux