From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Encrypting a user home folder on a laptop
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:26:13
1 On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 11:53 +0100, Florian Sowade wrote:
2 > Randy Barlow wrote:
3 > > I am probably being paranoid, but I'd like to encrypt my /home/username
4 > > folder on my laptop.
5 >
6 > just another point: you should think about encrypting at least /tmp and swap
7 > too, because temporary data will be stored there and if your home dir is
8 > encrypted but those two are not one could simply read your data from there.
9 > Have a look at this forum thread for the setup. because it uses random keys
10 > you don't have to enter a passphrase at bootup:
11 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-298001-highlight-encrypt+ramdisk.html
12
13 It's even worse when you hibernate because your whole RAM-content
14 (including disk caches from your encrypted home-partition) is written to
15 disk and encryption is not so easy because you have to ask for the
16 pass-phrase on resuming in early userspace. Look here for how to solve
17 it:
18 http://gentoo-wiki.com/SECURITY_System_Encryption_DM-Crypt_with_LUKS
19
20 I fear I'll have to spend my Easter holidays converting my system with
21 that guide.