From: Bob Crain <robert.crain@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-security] firewall suggestions?
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 09:17:09
1 I agree, it would be an obvious spoof to the gateway, but I think when
2 packets are being routed, devices are only concerning themselves with
3 how to get the packet to the destination. I'm more concerned with
4 fooling the would-be attacker. I could even go so far as trying to
5 determine what brand/model my gateway is, so that way my 'spoofed'
6 replies could match it's fingerprinting characteristics (TTL, DF, MSS,
7 MTU, etc.) Of course, this is all useless if I am providing any
8 services to the Internet. But if I'm not, would it reduce the number of
9 attacks if they can't see me?
10
11 -----Original Message-----
12 From: Frank Gruellich [mailto:frank@××××××××××××.org]
13 Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 3:05 AM
14 To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
15 Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] firewall suggestions?
16
17 * Bob Crain <robert.crain@×××××××.net> 8. Jan 04
18 > I've got DSL, and I know the IP of my gateway. When I want to appear
19 > invisible, I respond to unwanted packets with a 'REJECT - ICMP host
20 > unreachable' that has a spoofed source address of my gateway? That
21 way,
22 > it looks like the gateway responded and I don't exist!
23 >
24 > Whadduya think?
25
26 Nice idea, but the packet has to traverse the gateway, too... a gateway
27 that forwards a paket with itself as origin? This would be a very
28 obvious spoof.
29
30 Regards, Frank.
31 --