From: Dan Podeanu <pdan@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] System knockout :-(
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 14:39:45
1 I would never buy a Samsung HDD, as I would never buy an HP switch, or an LG
2 mobile phone.
3
4 Buy harddrives from those that do harddrives for a living (maxtor, seagata,
5 western digital), switches from cisco, nortel, etc., mobiles from siemens,
6 nokia, etc.
7
8 Just my imho.
9
10 Sorry for your harddrive :(
11
12 Cheers,
13 Dan.
14
15 ----- Original Message -----
16 From: "Tobias Weisserth" <tobias@×××××××××.de>
17 To: <gentoo-security@l.g.o>
18 Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2004 2:52 PM
19 Subject: [gentoo-security] System knockout :-(
22 > Hi everybody,
23 >
24 > This doesn't seem to be my week. When I wanted to boot my Gentoo system
25 > this morning, Grub wouldn't load. I discovered pretty fast that I am
26 > experiencing a hard drive failure. My Samsung SP1604N quit on me. It's a
27 > total loss. I could boot with Knoppix which recognised three of the
28 > seven partitions and I could recover about 2GB of a total of 160GB. I
29 > don't know what knocked it out, maybe a dying fan and death by cruelsome
30 > heat.
31 >
32 > I'm afraid I can't keep the schedule and today's GLPV announcement will
33 > have to wait until I have recovered from the system loss. It will be
34 > some time until I have set up another system, hopefully with Gentoo. I
35 > hope you can forgive me this inconvenience ;-)
36 >
37 > By the way, I lost most of my mails too. If you sent me anything
38 > important please send it again, since I will probably not be able to
39 > recover it. I had been in the process of setting up an IMAP server on a
40 > different machine but mails to tobias@×××××××××.de were retrieved from
41 > my ISP's pop server directly until today :-(
42 >
43 > Consider my GnuPG key void since I'm not sure I can recover it. Maybe
44 > it's among the stuff I recovered, maybe it isn't. I'll create a new one
45 > anyway.
46 >
47 > regards,
48 > Tobias W.