From: Terje Kvernes <terjekv@××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] System knockout :-(
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 15:13:39
1 Kevin van Haaren <kevin@×××××××××.net> writes:
2
3 [ ... ]
4
5 > I think a properly implemented tape backup still has it's place.
6
7 the problem with tapes is that implementing a proper backup routine
8 has some icky logistical issues.
9
10 > Done properly it gives you the ability to recover older versions of
11 > files.
12
13 I take backup to disk, of course I can retrieve older versions of
14 files. I can retrieve the file as it was any day over the last
15 year, and a bit more rarely after that. implementing a certain
16 number of changes backward in time is also fully doable.
17
18 > The media is reusable and higher density than CD-R or DVD. It's
19 > reasonably fast, and takes up less space than a multiple hard drive
20 > solution.
21
22 tapes take up a lot of space, a lot more than harddrives. at least
23 in my experience.
24
25 > But it really is only one phase. I prefer a 3 phase system:
26 > 1) RAID for fault tolerance
27 > 2) tape backup for system/file recovery
28 > 3) optical media for archive
29
30 that's a pretty nice layout. I do RAID for fault tolerance, backup
31 to another drive in another box, offsite backup via cron / ssh /
32 rsync / hardlinks (done by bontmia) and occasional backup to DVD.
33
34 > At work we've had a rash (3 systems out of several hundred) go bad
35 > with multiple hard-drive failures, so RAID wasn't even sufficient
36 > fault tolerance and we had to fall back to restore from the previous
37 > nights tapes, but our most common use for tape backup is recovering
38 > older versions that were accidentally deleted/written over or
39 > corrupted.
40
41 backup to disk doesn't translate to RAID.
42
43 > But archives must last a longer period of time than tape so a well
44 > cared for optical media gives longevity that tape just doesn't have.
45
46 both tape and optical media die eventually, as does harddrives.
47 with optical media you can implement checksumming to see if danger
48 lurks, with harddrives you make incremental backups to another
49 RAIDset where the drives are tested implicitly.
52 Terje
55 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list