From: Diego Julian Remolina <dijuremo@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Using a gentoo box to cache windows updates & mac updates
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 15:35:45
1 This answer is *not* Gentoo based (sorry guys), but if this is to
2 install the machines from scratch, you could use DiegoStart. Simply put
3 the DiegoStart files in your gentoo machine with samba and then install
4 all your machines automatically in unattended mode including all updates
5 and any software that you want (if it can be installed in unattended
6 mode, or you have a Ghost license to use AI Builder and create silent
7 install packages). There are also things like nlite and Ryan VM update
8 packs that will allow you to apply updates to your Windows install
9 sources, but none of these will work on machines which are already
10 installed.
11
12 Links:
13 http://diegostart.dijuremo.org
14 http://www.nliteos.com/
15 http://www.nliteos.com/
16
17 For machines already installed, you could manually download the updates
18 to a share and then write a batch script that basically applies all
19 updates in silent mode. Look here for the silent install switches.
20 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/262841
21
22 If you get CYGWIN with ssh installed in all the windows machines then
23 you could actually ssh in and run the commands without having to walk to
24 the machines.
25
26 Diego
29 Ochal Christophe wrote:
30
31 > Hi,
32 >
33 > I've been looking for a way to use our internal gentoo box (file - &
34 > printserver) to also cache windowsupdates & mac updates.
35 > Since we have a computershop we need to update *ALOT* of machines, and
36 > there's no flatrate internet available in Belgium, meaning we tend to
37 > run into our download limits.
38 >
39 > Does anyone know if this is feasable? If so, how?
40 >
41 > With kind regards,
42 > Ochal Christophe
46 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list