From: Pedro Venda <pjvenda@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Cc: abhay <abhay.ilugd@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] gpg-agent not setting environment correctly.
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 02:27:46
On Thursday 10 November 2005 18:15, abhay wrote:
> Hello, > > I am trying to setup KMail to use GnuPG. I have emerged unstable gnupg > (1.9.19), gpg-agent (1.9.19) and pinentry (0.7.2-r1).
I don't think you need unstable versions of gnupg and pinentry. I'm using stable versions and they work ok. gpg-agent OTOH is still ~x86 masked I guess.
that's normal. the variable contains the location of a fd socket with some extra info. pjlv@archon ~ $ ls -l $GPG_AGENT_INFO ls: /tmp/gpg-K6J5z2/S.gpg-agent:25227:1: No such file or directory pjlv@archon ~ $ ls -l /tmp/gpg-K6J5z2/S.gpg-agent srwxr-xr-x 1 pjlv users 0 Nov 10 23:51 /tmp/gpg-K6J5z2/S.gpg-agent there it is! gpg-agent seems to be working ok. please note that you're trying to execute that file by issuing $VARIABLE. you'd want to do something more like echo $VARIABLE to see if it's defined. then you could look for the file.
have you checked that gpg-agent is indeed running? do a ps -C gpg-agent? pjlv@archon ~ $ ps -C gpg-agent PID TTY TIME CMD 25227 ? 00:00:00 gpg-agent pjlv@archon ~ $ it it is not running (this will sound ugly but it has a purpose) have you tried logging out and in again from kde? the gpg-agent is started when users log into kde sessions (remember /usr/kde/3.4/env/agent-startup.sh?). IIRC my installation was very simple. 1. emerge pinentry and gpg-agent 2. uncommented some lines from /usr/kde/3.4/env/agent-startup.sh and /usr/kde/3.4/shutdown/agent-shutdown.sh (as instructed). when I log into kde it starts gpg-agent automatically. 3. tweaked ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf with pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry-qt no-grab default-cache-ttl 1800 4. make sure kmail was correctly configured to handle my gpg keys. regards, pedro venda. -- Pedro João Lopes Venda email: pjvenda at pjvenda org http://www.pjvenda.org