From: Brian Micek <bmicek@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] If your interested
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 05:40:42
1 On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 15:20 +1000, Ben Anderson wrote:
2
3 > It may make sense for small, limited users machines, but what about
4 > servers that are intentionally advertising ssh for it's users globally,
5 > so can't use port knocking, can't block all of korea (as some users
6 > definatly connect from there) and so on...
9 Ben, your correct ... it would be silly to block China on a commercial
10 server doing business with China. Those machines probably require a
11 secure architecture most of us light-weight users cant support.
12
13 > Seems to me blocking large chunks of the net because they're a pain is a
14 > short term solution that's going to cause long term pain for the
15 > internet at large if it's allowed to become standard practice...
16
17 Once again, censorship is silly but it works. There is something ironic
18 about censoring a country that censors their Internet.
21 > Shouldn't this list focus on the general, base level security rather
22 > than specific work-arounds for these type of issues that don't apply to
23 > a lot of boxen?
24 >
25 > 2c out.
26 > Ben
31 > Dave Strydom wrote:
32 > > I think there is an easier way of doing this...
33 > >
34 > > Why not use the GEOIP IPTABLES patch and then just use this in your
35 > > firewall:
36 > >
38 > > $IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp -m geoip --src-cc CN -j DROP
39 > > $IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp -m geoip --src-cc KR -j DROP
40 > > $IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp -m geoip --src-cc TW -j DROP
41 > > $IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp -m geoip --src-cc HK -j DROP
43 > >
44 > > This way you have 4 simple rules which do the work of that entire script.
47 > > On 10/10/05, *Taka John Brunkhorst* <antiwmac@×××××.com