From: aa6qn@×××××××××××.net
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] Snort alert with Squid ?
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 16:06:58
I could use some help here. I have emerged Snort on my system here (along
with SnortSnarf) and have been watching the alerts. What is causing my
concern it that my server is being reported as a source for serveral web
based attack signatures to a host of unknown destinations. I have spent
some time cleaning and rebuilding the server with no luck until I turned
off Squid.

BTW, all clients behind the squid box were turned off to insure the server
was the source.

I am using the latest portage ebuild Squid-2.5.11 Stable with a clean
build and I still get alerts from my box as source. Running 2.6.13-r5
kerel. I have tried Nessus to see if any un-authorized port was running
(nothing other than standard ports) and ran McAfee linux virus scan
(nothing there either).

I did not see anything on the web that would explain an exploit such as a
worm or trojan that is based on the current Squid build.

Any advise on the next thing to look at? I am starting to wonder if its
the squid ebuild.

Thank you in advance,
JohnF