From: Joerg Mertin <smurphy@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] [OT?] automatically firewalling off IPs
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 06:19:58
1 Hi mate,
2
3 I attached a little script I'm using to do that in conjunction with shorewall.
4 To use it - configure shorewall to use the blacklist file on the related
5 interface. I have added 2 exceptions - when failed logins are coming from
6 10.0.2.* and 192.168.2.* subnets. Search for these and adapt to your network.
7
8 Starting it through cron every 2 minutes (which IMHO is enough).
9 */2 * * * * root /etc/shorewall/hosts_reject.sh
10
11 the file /etc/cron.d/hosts_reject.
12 This script is not real-time - however - after some month of running - I have
13 only 1 per month average trying to probe my ssh-logins - as it seems the
14 drone-systems are blacklisted (Having 153 IP's in my blacklist right now).
15 You'll require the logtail program to trim the lodfiles ;)
16
17 BTW - the system will send you a mail-report when a new IP has been found
18 probing your Network.
19
20 Drawback: if you're loging in from outside and miswrite your login-name - the
21 system will most probably lock you out. MAke sure you log in from a different
22 IP-Address.
23
24 Cheers
25