From: Frank Gruellich <frank@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] firewall suggestions?
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 22:05:13
1 * Ben Cressey <ben@×××××.org> 8. Jan 04
2 > > To hide a host is always very stupid, why should you do this? There is no
3 > > advantage. If you "hide" your computer an attacker knows there is an
4 > > stupid guy who doesn't know anything about network security.
5 > You're rather free with calling people "stupid" with little to no
6 > justification.
7
8 Well, let's see.
9
10 > If I am just running a web server, nobody has any business connecting to any
11 > port besides 80/tcp and 443/tcp. ICMP traffic is fine, but what legitimate
12 > purpose is there in attempting a connection to another tcp port?
13
14 It's kinda social thing. If you tip my shoulder asking for time I would
15 answer, that I have no clock. If I give no answer at all you would call
16 me shy, taciturn, unsocial or, simply, stupid.
17
18 > It's not about hiding the server or some fictitious security gain --
19 > although as someone pointed out replying to potentially spoofed source
20 > addresses could be leveraged into some form of DoS attack.
21
22 Would you please be so kind to explain that. I am still interested in
23 this and still can't see how to use this in a DoS attack. In fact,
24 there are many more efficient ways to DoS a host.
25
26 > As far as RFCs go, the only relevant excerpt I could find was quoted on
27 > [snip]
28
29 You want to read RFC1812.
30