From: "Sandino Araico Sánchez" <sandino@×××××××.net>
To: Michel Wilson <michel@×××××××.net>
Cc: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>, gentoo-security <gentoo-security@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] tripwire policy generator
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:06:16
1 Michel Wilson wrote:
2
3 >On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:32:05AM -0600, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
7 >>That's the problem with using tripwire on a Gentoo system. It's meant for a
8 >>system that doesn't change, which obviously isn't Gentoo. What if someone
9 >>compromises your system after your last run of tripwire (not the updater)
10 >>and before when you emerge a package and update the database. The
11 >>compromise would go unnoticed.
15 >Good point. Well, then we should check the package before upgrading it,
16 >or check each file before we overwrite it with a new file. The first is
17 >probably the easiest, but then there might be a very theoretical chance
18 >that a file is overwritten which didn't belong to the old version of the
19 >package. I don't know if such a situation would ever happen, though.
22 It should be possible to add a feature to emerge that updates installed
23 packages MD5 to the tripwire database so the next time tripwire runs it
24 doesn't report false positives.
25
26 >Michel Wilson.
32 Sandino Araico Sánchez