From: David Olsen <lude@××××××××××.com>
To: James Dennis <james@×××××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-security@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Changes to traceroute in newest release
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:45:33
1 On 2003-12-16 at 15:25:09, James Dennis <james@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > This whole discussion is getting ridiculous. Gentoo is clearly looking
3 > to make a more secure _default_ install. You only have to su everytime
4 > if you're too lazy to use chmod... which was already mentioned... so
5 > how about we agree it's moot?
6 > -James
7
8 The point was traceroute is _not_ installed by default. An admin desiring to
9 install this software, in my case, on several hundred servers, I don't want
10 to have to chmod traceroute on all those boxes, everytime there's an update
11 to traceoute because of what could be deemed a poor choice for security.
12
13 I don't see where the discussion has gotten moot or off-track. If enough of
14 the community wants it back the way it was, I assume Gentoo developers will
15 respond as such.
16
17 -d