From: David Olsen <lude@××××××××××.com>
To: James Dennis <james@×××××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-security@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Changes to traceroute in newest release
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:45:33
On 2003-12-16 at 15:25:09, James Dennis <james@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
> This whole discussion is getting ridiculous. Gentoo is clearly looking > to make a more secure _default_ install. You only have to su everytime > if you're too lazy to use chmod... which was already mentioned... so > how about we agree it's moot? > -James
The point was traceroute is _not_ installed by default. An admin desiring to install this software, in my case, on several hundred servers, I don't want to have to chmod traceroute on all those boxes, everytime there's an update to traceoute because of what could be deemed a poor choice for security. I don't see where the discussion has gotten moot or off-track. If enough of the community wants it back the way it was, I assume Gentoo developers will respond as such. -d