From: ascii <ascii@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] SSH probes
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 23:26:45
Brian Micek wrote:
> Please lets forget about this thread because its going nowhere and once > again, I apologize about all this spam.
yeah, i love BOFH : ) but the argue about cpu and bandwith waste is real don't care who say you can't send random data on request, we are free to reply what we want on a request (also some ascii p*rn is a good idea) if you are using tcpd consider to do something like catting some random data to a file and then stream the file (no disk i/o since linux has caching, low cpu usage) remember also you are sending some of your precious *true* random data to the bad guy (i'm not able to exploit or predict the next random bit but i heard somebody on the globe is able to.. so be paranoid :P ) also the client will break the tcp stream on X null chars or something like that so use a file and close the connection at some poit is good to prevent bandwith waste (don't let the client decide) an other thing to consider is ip spoofing, but who cares : ) just my 901 bytes opinion.. -- gentoo-security@g.o mailing list