From: Robert Larson <robert@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] rsync password on local portage mirror
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 17:26:49
1 Hello list,
2
3 I am trying to setup a password on my local rsync portage mirror. This is
4 what I have done thus far:
5
6 On the server:
7 1. Added "secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.users" and "auth users = portage"
8 to /etc/rsyncd.conf in the appropriate places.
9 2. Placed "portage:notmypassword" in /etc/rsyncd.users
10 3. /etc/init.d/rsyncd restart
11
12 On the client:
13 1. Added RSYNC_OPTIONS="--password-file=/etc/portage/rsync.user"
14 to /etc/make.conf.
15 2. Modified SYNC in make.conf to include the user:
16 SYNC="rsync://portage@×××××××××××.local/gentoo-portage"
17 3. echo 'notmypassword' >/etc/portage/rsync.user
18
19 Now, I type "emerge --sync" and I get prompted for a password (if I were to
20 make a guess, it's that the variable "RSYNC_OPTIONS" is not referenced by
21 portage).
22
23 Am I doing something wrong, or is there another way to do this?
24
25 Thanks,
26
27 Robert Larson