From: Stuart Howard <stuart.g.howard@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] PAM/passwd? and hash tables
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:08:53
1 Hi
2
3 I read the following artivle
4 http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11355/2
5 which has prompted me to reconsider my security setup, it is a home
6 system but with open ssh ports and similar.
7 My specific question is this - What method/cryptography is used to
8 create the passwd hash under PAM ie. is it vunerable to rainbow type
9 hash tables.
10 -----snip---- ^^ article
11 RainbowCrack Online will offer 11 tables covering six different hash
12 algorithms, including LanMan, MD5, MySQL 323, and SHA-1
13 -----snip-----
14
15 now that said it is quite possible that I have got the wrong end of
16 the stick so to speak, ie. I know that PAM handles login etc but is it
17 PAM that generates the hash of my chosen password?
18 If so can I expand my question to ask what program and further what
19 algorithm is used to do this task.
20 This is for my system of course but I guess the principle can be
21 applied to many systems.
22
23 EDIT
24 As I was writing this I checked man passwd which seems to have
25 answered my question on the whole
26 ---snip---
27 The UNIX System encryption
28 method is based on the NBS DES algorithm and is very secure.
29 ---snip---
30
31 I have left my earlier question [more or less answered] just for some
32 confirmation, but the new point is -
33 Does the "NBS DES algorithm" come under the "salt" method? and is it
34 therefore immune to attacks of the hash table variety?
35
36 regards
37
38 stuart
39
40 ps. I know the above is a little disjointed but I am stumbling in the
41 dark a little here.
44 "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand
45 binary, those who don't"
46
47 --Unknown
50 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list