From: Dan Noe <dpn@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Why we need TPM in Linux kernel?
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:28:31
On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 02:04:58AM +0300, Serge Koksharov wrote:
> I'm worried with the so-called "Treacherous Computing" appearance in > recent Linux kernels. I have read about it on EFF & GNU portals and > can't see any benefits for Free Society by supporting this technology. > Also it looks like this TPM drivers were written by IBM employees. I > suspect IBM pushed this into kernel. I understand what this drivers come > in source form under GPL, anybody can just don't compile them in, but > again what benefits this drivers can bring for casual Linux user?
This feature can be used to ensure only code signed by the user or developer can run on a specific system. This would enable enhanced virus/malware protection, because the evil code wouldn't be signed by a trusted party. I don't know much about the technology at this point, but like many things just because it /can/ be abused doesn't mean it is per se a bad idea. It can be used to make computing safer, especially in an open source environment where the uses are freely criticized (IE, nobody is going to put DRM that you can't disable in the kernel). -D -- /--------------- - - - - - - | Dan Noe, freelance hacker | http://isomerica.net/