From: Anthony Gorecki <agorecki@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] Re: Why we need TPM in Linux kernel?
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:03:27
On Tuesday, November 22, 2005 15:15, Dan Noe wrote:
> This would enable enhanced > virus/malware protection, because the evil code wouldn't be signed by a > trusted party. > > I don't know much about the technology at this point, but like many > things just because it /can/ be abused doesn't mean it is per se a bad > idea. It can be used to make computing safer, especially in an open > source environment where the uses are freely criticized
I agree with the above. I will never tolerate the use of digital restrictions management technology if it is required by a third party, however if I wish to use certain aspects of trusted computing for my own purposes, I welcome the kernel's support of that technology. Dubious uses of the technology are to be expected by corporations such as Microsoft, but I believe that it can also be very valuable for legitimate implementations. -- Anthony Gorecki Ectro-Linux Foundation