From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-security@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-security] Re: ipw2200 + Intel Pro Wireless 2915 a/b/g: "ipw2200: Firmware error detected. Restarting."
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:00:57
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:38:04 -0400, fire-eyes <sgtphou@×××××××××.org>
wrote:

> I am having a very irritating problem with the wireless driver and card > above. Sometimes, but not all the times, it gets into this phase where > the wireless drops, comes back, drops, comes back (etc) and eventually I > start seeing this in kernel logs: > > ipw2200: Firmware error detected. Restarting. > > Unloading and reloading the module does not stop the issue, when it has > begun. I have done some searching, and the typical advice is to make > sure hardware crypto is off, by loading it like so: > > modprobe -v ipw2200 hwcrypto=0 > > However this never stops it, or even causes it to calm down a bit. > > The most frustrating thing, is that this does not happen all the time. I > use multiple wireless networks. All of them wide open, except for one, > which was mine at home with WPA. That AP since bricked (warning: avoid > LInksys WRT54G v5's, i'm not the only one this happened to) so I can no > loner test. But when I used it, i saw the same things as I am describing > here.
Hope that you get a more useful response.... FWIW, I Had precisely these symptoms on my Sony 2200 laptop - and can't tell you why - but it is rock sold now. I think there were two things going on: 1. This might be a "kill" switch? Some of my problems were certainly due to the kill switch. I finally noticed that the little wireless LEDs were off. I had turned them off while using the windows OS - given that it is susceptable to the wonderful new driver attacks - and had failed to turn it on when booting up hardened Linux (which I believe is NOT susectable to the driver buffer overflows). 2. I also suggest a step by step walk-through of the following page (check your kernel config). http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_ipw2200 P.S. Contrary to their suggestion, I emerged the latest driver/firmware from portage. Newbie. (HTH; good luck.) -- gentoo-security@g.o mailing list