From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Let's blow the whistle
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:01:22
1 Hello,
2
3 On 08 Nov 2004 14:47:15 +0100 you wrote:
4
5 > I will publish step-by-step instructions which explain in
6 > great detail how to ...
7 >
8 > (1) set up a fake sync mirror,
9 >
10 > (2) set up a transparent proxy for rsyncd connections that
11 > are routed through your machine,
12 >
13 > (3) configure your BIND daemon to pretend it had
14 > authoritative information for the gentoo.org zone that
15 > refers to your mirror rather than the real one, and
16 >
17 > (4) what to patch in /usr/portage/eclass/eutils.eclass to
18 > install appropriate exploit code on the user's machine
19 > once emerge is used for the next time.
20
21 Err... I think this description alone should do it, no need to waste
22 your time writing the n-th description of how to set up a transparent
23 proxy, setting up BIND and so on... You could write an ebuild
24 "hacked-up-rsync-mirror" which does this all, so that all of us
25 can do some testing :-)
26
27 But i doubt that you really manage to hack up my BIND, place a
28 transparent proxy in my connection to the net or convince me to use your
29 fake mirror. But go on, play... Don't complain here if you're the one
30 being laughed at on that mentioned mailing list...
31
32 HWH
35 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list