From: Tom Hosiawa <tomek32@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] tripwire-ish portage scanner
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:03:41
1 > On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 12:46:25PM -0600, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > > I've come up with a quick n' dirty Perl script to use portage's MD5s in a
3 > > tripwire fashion.
4 > >
5 > Didn't you know about qpkg? qpkg already does this, qpkg -c checks mtime
6 > and md5sum for all packages. With -v it will list the exact files that
7 > mismatch.. The only thing that's lacking is checking the integrity of
8 > the md5sums themselves with some kind of signature.
9 >
10 > Regards,
11 >
12 > Michel Wilson.
13
14 What about qpkq being compromised itself. As I understand it, in
15 tripwire, cryptographic keys are used for the policy file.
16
17 Couldn't an attacker mess around with which files qpkq scans?
18
19 Tom
23 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list