From: Lasse Birnbaum Jensen <gymer@××××××××××××××××××.dk>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] How to make iptables log to a separate log file?
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:56:14
1 Try using ULOG with the ULOGD daemon
2
3 > I have installed iptables yesterday and currently using a basic script from
4 > web to enable firewall. The script logs the dropped packets using following
5 > entries
6 >
7 > /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -j LOG --log-prefix "FIREWALL:INPUT "
8 > /sbin/iptables -I INPUT 1 -p tcp -m state --state INVALID -j LOG --log-prefix
9 > "FIREWALL:INVALID "
10 >
11 > iptables seem to be working fine but the problem is that it is logging
12 > everything in /var/log/messages but I want it to log it some other file. May
13 > be /var/log/iptables. I have googled and found that syslog-ng can do it and
14 > some entries in /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf should work but I am not sure
15 > how to do it. "man syslog-ng.conf" is not making much sense for me either
16 > (newbie).
17 >
18 > Can some one please give me any links where I can read about how to easily
19 > configure syslog-ng.conf and achieve what I desire. If you could give exact
20 > entries then I would be more than greatful.
21 >
22 > TIA
23 > Regards,
24 > Abhay Kedia