From: Jens Gutzeit <gentoo-security@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] tripwire-ish portage scanner
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:53:18
1 On Thursday 25 March 2004 21:13, Mark Guertin wrote:
2
3 > Well in theory any file on a machine could have been compromised
4 > (including something built into portage). if you want to be absolutely
5 > sure I would recommend having your scan tools on removable media and
6
7 You mean removable and writeonly media, right? A writable media could be
8 changed just at the time you plug it in.
9
10 > not dependent on anything on the machine you are scanning, like a USB
11
12 but it would depend on the kernel the machine is running. I don't think theres
13 a way to be absolutely sure, without massive amount of time and system
14 downtime for checking.
15
16 Jens
19 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list