From: Oliver Schad <o.schad@×××.de>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] firewall suggestions?
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 16:36:57
1 Am Donnerstag, 8. Januar 2004 16:57 schrieb mir Thomas T. Veldhouse:
2 > Oliver Schad wrote:
3 > > Not really. And why should a network scan be dangerous? Security by
4 > > obscurity doesn't work. You can scan a well configured host all day
5 > > long, who cares?
6 >
7 > True, but if you do happen to have an exploitable service (i.e. the brk
8 > issue with the linux kernel and rsync recently), a script kiddie might
9 > grow tired of waiting for scan results from your network and go
10 > elsewhere. Certainly slowing down potential hackers buys time and
11 > frustration for the attacker if nothing else. The assumption that all
12 > potential attackers are experts is not a good one.
13
14 The brk issue is a local problem, it has nothing to do with networking.
15 The security hole in rsync is/was still there if you deny requests to
16 closed ports.
17
18 And I don't believe that any script kid sits crying in front of his
19 computer and runs to his mom "The f****** admin blocks all my attacks,
20 wuaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!" because you have blocked all connections to closed
21 ports.
22
23 If I would search for vulnerable rsync server, I would start the ultimate
24 hacker tool in the evening and after sweet dreams in the night I would
25 look for my victims with a well tasting cup of tea in my hand in the next
26 morning. And I swear, I wouldn't start to cry, because you did block any
27 of my requests.
28
29 It don't increase your security and it breaks internet standards. And is
30 it not true, that it slow down network scans in a worthy of mention. It
31 makes no sense to block requests to closed ports.
32
33 mfg
34 Oli
37 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list