From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Cc: Paige Thompson <erratic@×××××.ws>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Security project meeting summary
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:02:21
On Tuesday 22 July 2008, Paige Thompson wrote:
> misfit[1004]:~% sudo emerge -uva nethack > Password: > > These are the packages that would be merged, in order: > > Calculating dependencies | > !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "games-roguelike/nethack" have > been masked. > !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your > request: > - games-roguelike/nethack-3.4.3-r1 (masked by: package.mask) > /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask: > # Tavis Ormandy <taviso@g.o> (21 Mar 2006) > # masked pending unresolved security issues #125902 > > > For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man > page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
Sorry, I do not understand the point you are trying to make. Nethack has an unresolved security bug, and if you want to install it anyway, put it in your /etc/portage/package.unmask -- as described in "man emerge". I do not see the gain by setting up a system that would completely ignore *all* security-related package masks. Robert