From: Mark Hurst <mark@××××××.net>
To: poohsuntzu@×××××××.net
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] firewall suggestions?
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 22:08:35
1 Can also recommend fwbuilder, nice GUI, handles iptables, PF, ipfilter.
2 Generates executable scripts for you. I like it.
3
4 http://www.fwbuilder.org/
5
6 In terms of firewalls available there is iptables only, what people are
7 recommending here are applications for handling iptables rules.
8
9 Apparently Darren Reed has been working on porting IPfilter to Linux. Has
10 anyone else heard this?
11
12 It's much better to have a firewall than just have ports not open. Even
13 though a port is not open it can reveal the presence of your machine by
14 the manner in which the IP stack responds to a connection attempt. Using a
15 firewall you can drop those packets, making all your closed ports
16 invisible.
19 > Greetings,
20 > I have been with gentoo for about 3 months now, but only recently
21 > decided I needed a firewall. Don't ask, as I still feel simply not
22 > having ports open is just as good as a firewall that blocks them.
23 > Regardless, I would love your suggestions on firewalls avalaible for
24 > Gentoo. Also, if you could provide a brief explaination instead of just
25 > a name, that would make my day much easier. Thanks!
28 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list