From: Kirk Hoganson <kirk2@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] [OT?] automatically firewalling off IPs
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 20:32:22
1 boger said the following:
2 > Hello Kirk,
3 >
4 > I'll appreciate it ;)
5 >
6 > Goggling gives a lot of links to libpcap based port knockers, but I dislike idea always running in promiscuous mode. Also "magic packet" is a sort of overkill for me, because I need access from random locations with different OS'es preferably without any additional tools.
7 > If computer is untrusted, after logon I can change knock sequence without leaving any keys behind. Even if password gets compromised is not so dangerous in this scenario.
8 >
9 > By iptables based I mean using ulog or ipq to forward packets to knock daemon, thus its undetectable from outside and can be very fast.
10 >
11 > About a year ago I tested 5 or 6 port knockers but I didn't find any
12 > suitable for me. Some had terrible cpu usage on my machine,
13 > some not enough flexible configuration.
16 > KH> Yes, there are. I use one for my work servers that is iptables based.
17 > KH> I don't have any links for you unfortunately but I have seen them. If
18 > KH> you are really interested I can probably track down one I saw that used
19 > KH> iptables and was a combination style. I also know of an open source
20 > KH> "magic packet" style that I could probably find a link for if you were
21 > KH> interested.
24 It would appear that I was mistaken in thinking that the two I have used
25 were iptables based. Both are dependent upon libpcap. I was briefly
26 confused based on the way they have been integrated into the iptables
27 firewall. For what it is worth, my experiences with libpcap port
28 knockers has been very favorable. Sorry if that was a bit of a goose chase.
29 --
30 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list