From: John Manko <jmanko@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] org-x11 GLSA 200509-07. Is bug #96053 fixed in -r3? (black icons)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:31:43
Andrej Kacian wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:05:39 -0400 >xyon <xyon@×××××××××××.com> wrote: > > > >>Then perhaps Gentoo isn't the distro for you.. I chose Gentoo because it >>is sort of LFS-like, but with a fraction of the time to setup. Maybe a >>binary-based distribution like RedHat or Debian would fit you better. ;) >> >> > >The fraction-of-time-to-setup feature comes from the fact that portage >(package manager) does most of the work for you - and that was exactly my >point - emerging xorg-x11 is much less time-consuming than downloading, >patching and compiling it manually, which is not something everyone can afford >to invest time into. > >Note that I politely ignore your binary-distro argument. > > >
I have to agree with the portage point. In fact, I think the three reasons Gentoo is where it's at is because of the following: 1. They have the best documentation out of any distribution. Just think about the first time you installed it. How easy was it because of the documentation, and how much did you learn? 2. It's ports based. I remember the days of rpmfind when I used RedHat. That was a nightmare. Portage is pretty much up-to-date, bug free (the programs being installed, that is), and easy to use if you take the small amount of time to learn the commands. Again, this ties into the great documentation. 3. The user forums. The forums are what I like most about Gentoo. It's has the best community of users and developers of any distro. It's easy find an answer, ask a question, and get a reasonable response! Without it, I think that most people would have thrown up their hands in frustration. -- gentoo-security@g.o mailing list