From: Ben Anderson <ben@××××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Using a gentoo box to cache windows updates & mac updates
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 02:58:55
1 Squid doesn't work properly to cache the updates without hacking it
2 (unless MS have made some squid friendly changes in version 5 -- I'm not
3 holding my breath)...
4
5 My rudimentary understanding is the updates send unique queries,
6 including per-machine unique data as part of the request which prevents
7 most of the data being cached, even if the updates data is identical.
8
9 Refer to: http://www.glob.com.au/windowsupdate_cache/ for more info.
10
11 Microsoft SUS is probably the most reliable automated solution I'm aware
12 of (if you have control of the machines you are trying to update).
13
14 Good luck!
15 Ben.
18 Ochal Christophe wrote:
19 > Ben Koren schreef:
20 >> I don't have a script on hand to show you as an example, but I had a
21 >> small script for doing the windows updates. Basically, I went through
22 >> and downloaded all of the updates manually (the kb****** executables
23 >> from MS). Then I threw them all in a a folder on a flash drive and had a
24 >> small script execute them one by one - so for each client's machine I
25 >> would stick in my flash drive and run the update script. Obviously, new
26 >> KB's are bound to come out, so I usually ran Windows Update after that,
27 >> but it still saved a load on bandwidht. I don't have a solution for the
28 >> Mac updates. Hope this helps!
29 >
30 > That's one possibility, but rather clumsy, and i'd have to rely on my
31 > collegue's to help keep the local repository on the media up to date,
32 > knowing some of my collegue's, i don't see that happen ;)
33 >
34 > Squid sofar seems the best route to follow
35 --
36 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list