From: Mark Guertin <guertin@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Changes to traceroute in newest release
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:33:12
On 16-Dec-03, at 1:16 PM, Michael Reilly wrote:

>> Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but I certainly find the >> changes >> welcome. > > I find the change offensive. It is my system and I want the tools I > install > to work. There is no excuse for someone thinking they can force me to > su > every time I want to run traceroute. Of course the fix is obvious - > chmod > 4755 traceroute. > > Why isn't this a USE option?
a USE option for this doesn't make a lot of sense in my mind .... think about it. USE="suid" could be more like USE="hackmenow" ;) The trend with security is to eliminate this sort of thing, not to encourage it. That said it's easy enough for you to chmod it, so maybe a simple ewarn is in order for people that have this concern that they can chmod it if they desire, but I agree that by default that less with these permissions are better. cfengine is the good stuff. Works on OSX too in case anyone cares :) Mark -- gentoo-security@g.o mailing list