From: "Israel G. Lugo" <israel.lugo@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Re: Kernel Security Update Target Delay?
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 16:11:34
1 I just wanted to clarify that my intent is not to complain, or to imply
2 that Gentoo devs aren't working hard enough, or that "Gentoo sucks" or
3 anything of the sort; I may have transmitted the wrong impression in my
4 previous email, for which I apologize. It is precisely because I
5 appreciate the dedicated effort of all the Gentoo volunteers, and the
6 high standards of quality which this distribution has always maintained,
7 that I would hate to see such efforts subjected to unfair criticism due
8 to a few isolated procedural problems.
9
10 The problem here wasn't, in my opinion, a lack of effort by anyone; as
11 noted before, the fix was in the tree within hours, or within a day. The
12 thing is, for whatever reason, the fix only came out a contextually very
13 long time after that. This is what concerns me, and others I'm sure.
14 It's very bad for the image of Gentoo, it gives the impression that you
15 don't take security as seriously as others, and this -- at least in my
16 view -- couldn't be farther from the truth. The main reason I use Gentoo
17 Hardened on critical servers is precisely due to the effort and
18 commitment put in by the security team at every level, from the kernel
19 and toolchain to the user packages themselves. Nevertheless, the fact
20 remains that anyone using Hardened was left open to a vulnerability for
21 a longer time than would have been necessary, given that the fix was
22 already implemented within the tree. Also, I am concerned for the users
23 of normal gentoo-sources, who were vulnerable for a very extended period
24 of time.
25
26 I believe that it would be a positive thing to analyze what happened,
27 and try to learn from it so that next time things go better. I would
28 submit that sometimes, a lengthy procedure may get in the way of getting
29 things done; or at least, that the established procedure should be more
30 flexible to account for these cases.
31
32 Regards,
33 Israel