From: Casey Link <unnamedrambler@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Kernel Security + KISS
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 03:56:06
1 Here are some day to day duties that will be need to get done.This
2 isn't exhaustive just the results of a few minutes of brainstorming:
3
4 * Stalking the places vulnerabilities are announced (CVE, mailing
5 lists, etc) to create the relevant bug.
6 * Determine which upstream (kernel.org) version has the fix and make
7 the whiteboard entry in bugzilla.
8 * Determine which sources are affected
9 * Nag kernel maintainers to patch their sources
10 * Find patches and discussion to link to the kernel maintainers to
11 ease their patching (and ideally encourage them to patch faster)
12 * As sources are patched update the whiteboard
13 * Release glsas of unaffected packages (?)
14
15 Some framework and specification needs to be laid, but that is a
16 general outline of the process I think. None of those duties require
17 programming experience at all. Of course crafting patches to send to
18 the kernel maintainers would be another helpful thing to do. Ideally
19 this would be made pretty simple with some nifty tools, however
20 manpower is going to be required regardless.
21
22 There are still the glaring issues of (1) the best way to notify users
23 of vulnerabilities, and (2) how to enforce rapid-ish response by
24 kernel maintainers. I think the best way to approach (2) is to be
25 amicable towards the maintainers. Point them in the right direction,
26 send them patches, etc., rather than spamming "OMG! Patch
27 foo-sources!" every day. Maybe we could give them candy or something.
28
29 Casey