From: rpfc@××××××××××××.pt
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o, David vasil <vasil@××××××.edu>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] [OT?] automatically firewalling off IPs
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:02
> Jeremy, > I agree with MaxieZ, a combination of SEC and Iptables work nicely > in this situation and could be extended to other services like FTP, > IMAP, Web authentication, etc. I personally do not feel that > security through obscurity by changing the port numbers is a viable > solution.
Changing port numbers in this case is not for "security". It's just a simple solution against automated ssh attacks. If the attack is made by a cracker that really wants to attack a specific target, he will find the port. Anyway, I change ports not for security purposes but only for stopping automated attacks filling up my logs. ;) -- gentoo-security@g.o mailing list